Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Chili
Makes 6 servings
1 cup chopped onions (2 medium)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons cornmeal
2 tablespoons chili powder
3 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 jar (16 oz) medium picante sauce
1 can (15 to 16 oz) pinto beans, undrained
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
Sliced green onion, if desired
1. In 3- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix onions, bell pepper and garlic.
2. In large bowl, mix cornmeal, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt. Add chicken; toss to coat. Add chicken and any remaining seasoning mixture to vegetables in slow cooker. Gently stir in picante sauce, beans and tomatoes.
3. Cover; cook on Low setting 6 to 8 hours. Sprinkle with green onion.
Makes 6 servings (1 1/3 cups each)
I am using leftover Thanksgiving turkey and tossing this in the crockpot:
“Homemade” Mexican Soup
1. Pour two 32-oz. cartons of chicken broth into a pot.
2. Buy one of those roasted chickens at the supermarket, take all the meat off, and dump it into the pot.
3. Add two cans of cannellini beans, a big jar of salsa verde, and some cumin. Let it sit on the stove for an hour.
Pasta Fagioli Soup Slow Cooker Recipe From Crock-Pot
Today I have this in my crockpot, although I used Sweet Italian sausage instead of the ground beef.
Pasta Fagioli Soup
15 ounces Great Northern beans
1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
20 ounces condensed beef broth
29 ounces canned whole tomatoes
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 cups macaroni, cooked
1.Combine all ingredients, except pasta in the stoneware.
2.Cover; cook on Low 8 to 10 hours or on High 4 to 6 hours.
3.Add the pasta 30 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
Slow-Cooker Spicy Beef Curry with Saffron Rice
1/2 jar Crosse & Blackwell Hot Mango Chutney
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons curry powder
1 cup beef stock
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes with jucie
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup basmati rice
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
1.Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown meat on all sides.
2.Season with salt & pepper.
3.Place meat in the bottom of a slow cooker.
4.Add onions, ginger and garlic to the skillet in the beef drippings and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes).
5.Add curry powder, beef stock and tomatoes; stir to mix.
6.Pour onion mixture over beef.
7.Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
8.Rice: In a skillet over medium-high heat, sauté onions in oil until soft; add broth, rice, salt, pepper and saffron.
9.Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
10.Drizzle the curry with chutney and serve hot with rice.
Jamaican Jerk BBQ
8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 lb), skin removed
2 tsp Caribbean jerk seasoning
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1 Tbsp dark rum (optional)
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1. Rub drumsticks with seasoning. Place in 3 1/2-qt or larger slow-cooker. Pour barbecue sauce and rum over chicken. Turn chicken to coat.
2. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours until chicken is tender. Sprinkle with scallions. Great with coleslaw and cornbread on the side.
Mexican Beef & Black Bean Soup
8 oz lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 15 oz can corn
1 15 oz can chicken broth
1 cn diced tomatoes with green chiles
15 oz black beans, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Put ground beef, onion, oregano and cumin in a 2- to 3-qt saucepan. Cook, breaking up clumps of beef with a spoon, 3 minutes or until beef is browned. Add corn, chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chiles, and rinsed black beans; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 to 10 minutes for flavors to blend. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and serve with crushed corn tortilla chips.
I fell out of the habit of posting to Slow Cooking Thursday, but I am back now. Here is a crockpot recipe that screams Fall to me…..
Apple Peppered Chicken
From Julie Kay
Serves 4 to 6.
3 to 4 chicken leg quarters
1 each green and yellow bell peppers, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 apple, sliced, for garnish
1. Put leg quarters into slow cooker. Add bell peppers, onions, the 2 chopped apples and soy sauce.
2. Cook on Low 6 to 8 hours. Remove and serve with remaining apple, sliced, for edible garnish.