Today is Slow Cooking Thursday, hosted by Sandra at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom
Please come back and join me for Freezer Food Friday…
Do not stir stew until directed because potatoes and carrots will not get tender unless they’re at the bottom of the pot.
Start to finish: 10 minutes preparation, plus 10 hours slow-cooking time.
• 1 cup cubed white potatoes (peel first if desired)
• 1 cup (about 20) baby carrots
• 1 cup diced celery
• 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
• 1 ½ pounds lean beef cubes for stew
• ½ envelope ( ¼ cup) dry onion-soup recipe mix
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
• ½ teaspoon dried thyme
• ¼ teaspoon pepper
• 1 (14 ½-ounce) can fat-free beef broth
• 1 (10 ¾-ounce) reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of mushroom soup
• 1 (14 ½-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
• ½ cup frozen green peas
• 3 tablespoons cornstarch
Place potatoes evenly in bottom of slow-cooker pot. Scatter carrots, then celery over potatoes. Add remaining ingredients except peas and cornstarch in order given.
Cover pot, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender.
Remove lid, and stir stew well. Rinse frozen peas with warm tap water to defrost slightly, and add to pot. Mix cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water in a small jar that has a lid. Cover and shake to combine well. Gradually add half of cornstarch mixture to stew, stirring gently but well. Add remaining cornstarch as needed to reach desired consistency. Serve at once. Makes 6 servings.