Welcome to Freezer Food Friday! Blog a freezer recipe and come back and link it at Mr. Linky below ( click on the graphic) ! Thanks for participating.
Makes 8 servings
2 small cans diced green chiles
1 cup salsa
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans corn with red and green bell peppers, drained
2 10-ounce cans enchilada sauce
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar cheese
1 16-ounce box cornbread mix
Sour cream for garnish
Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
1. To prepare for freezer: In a gallon zip-lock bag, combine 1 can green chiles, salsa, scallions, cilantro, beans, corn, and enchilada sauce.
2. Squeeze out excess air and seal. Place sealed bag into another bag for safety.
3. Place cheese in a separate bag and add to larger bag. Label, date, and store in freezer until ready to serve.
4. When ready to serve: thaw prepared ingredients overnight in refrigerator. Pour the entire contents of the large bag into a slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
5. Combine remaining can of chiles, eggs, and cornbread mix and mix well. Drop by spoonfuls into top of hot slow cooker, cover, and cook for 1 hour or until cornbread is done.
6. Sprinkle cheese over the top, cover, and cook until cheese is melted. Garnish with sour cream and fresh sliced cilantro.
– Adapted from Cooking Light Slow Cooker (Oxmoor House, 2006)
Per serving: 540 calories, 20 grams protein, 69 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams sugar, 21 grams fat, 86 milligrams cholesterol, 1,711 milligrams sodium, 800 grams dietary fiber
Soy Ginger Chicken
Makes 4 servings
4 bone-in chicken drumsticks, skin removed
4 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 medium carrots, thinly sliced crosswise
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2/3 cup fresh chopped cilantro plus extra for garnish
2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
5 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias, plus extra for garnish
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. To prepare for freezer: In gallon zip-lock bag, combine chicken, soy sauce, brown sugar, carrots, garlic, cilantro, ginger, scallions, vinegar, coriander, and pepper.
2. Squeeze out excess air and seal. Place sealed bag into another bag for safety. Label, date, and store in freezer until ready to serve.
3. When ready to serve: Thaw prepared ingredients overnight in refrigerator. Pour the entire contents of the large bag into a slow cooker and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
4. Just before serving, set slow cooker to high. In a large measuring cup combine cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add 1 cup of cooking liquid and stir to combine. Pour mixture back into slow cooker, cover, and cook 2 minutes longer, or until sauce is thickened.
5. Garnish with cilantro and scallions and serve with white rice.
– Adapted from Martha Stewart Everyday Food.