This cozy dessert is a snap to prepare — less than 10 minutes of prep time, and your slow cooker takes care of the rest!
Recipe source: Adapted with permission from 250 Best Cobblers, Custards, Cupcakes, Bread Puddings & More, by Esther Brody (Robert Rose Inc., 2004)
Serves 8 to 10
• 8 slices raisin bread, cut into cubes (about 5 cups)
• 2 medium tart apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled and sliced
• 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
• 1 cup sugar
• 11/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
• 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
• 3 large eggs, beaten
• 2 cups half-and-half
• 1/4 cup (4 Tbsp.) unsalted butter or margarine, melted
• 1/4 cup apple juice
1 Grease slow cooker lightly. In large bowl, combine bread cubes, apples and pecans. Mix well to blend and spoon into slow cooker.
2 In the same bowl, combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, and blend well. Add eggs, half-and-half, butter and apple juice, mixing until thoroughly blended. Spoon over bread mixture.
3 Cook, covered, on low setting, for 3 to 4 hours, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and dry. Spoon into bowls and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.