Published: Wed, Jun 13
Recipe is from Tommy Simmons.
Makes 4 to 5 quarts.
4 to 5 pints fresh strawberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 (14-oz.) cans sweetened condensed milk
1. Remove the leafy caps from the strawberries, then wash and slice. Put the strawberries in a large bowl. Sprinkle sugar over the berries, toss and chill.
2. Pour the sweetened condensed milk into the ice cream freezer’s canister.
3. Pour strawberries and juice into a blender. Purée the berries.
4. Pour strawberry purée into the ice cream canister.
5. Add milk to the fill level marked on the canister. Stir the milk into the strawberries and sweetened condensed milk with a long-handled spoon to make sure everything gets mixed together smoothly.
6. Freeze the ice cream according to the manufacturer’s directions. When the machine’s paddle stops moving, unplug the freezer. Put a big towel over the ice cream and let it sit for 30 to 45 minutes before serving.
Testing note: I usually clean and slice the strawberries a day ahead so they have time to make juice to add to the mixture.