Today is Freeezer Fod Friday. Please post a recipe that can be made ahead and frozen for later use. Link it below using Mister Linky and make sure to visit each blog who shares.
Makes 12 servings
20 ripe tomatoes
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/2 cup good red wine
2 bay leaves
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add tomatoes to water and cook about 1 to 2 minutes or until skin begins to come off. Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon and dunk into a large bowl of ice water.
2. Let tomatoes sit in water until they are cool enough to handle. Remove tomatoes from water and remove skin, then slice the tomatoes in half. Scoop out all the seeds and discard. Finely chop tomatoes with a sharp knife and set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large pot, and sauté onion and garlic until onion becomes translucent. Add tomatoes, basil, Italian seasoning, red wine and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce comes to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and let sauce simmer for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adjusting seasoning as necessary.
5. Stir in tomato paste and simmer for another 2 to 3 hours or until it is as thick or thin as you desire.
To freeze: Let sauce sit on stove until fully cooled. Ladle sauce into freezer-safe containers, cover with plastic wrap and then with a lid. Freeze until ready to use. Use within 6 months.